A few months ago one of my social media friends, Angie the orchid whisperer, posted that she was making Lasagna in her crockpot. I was intrigued and asked for the recipe. She sent me a link which I skimmed over quickly and then forgot to save it. My daughter, who loves Lasagna, has been waiting on me to make it. Well not exactly this recipe but Lasagna period.
I figured today would be the best day to try it out in my crockpot. Basically all I was going to do was use my tried and true recipe for Lasagna but with the cooking techniques I remembered from the link I read about making it in the crockpot and forego the oven.
LET.ME.TELL.YOU…..it was friggen yummy. When everyone in my family says it’s yummy then I know I’ve got a winner! The best part was my daughter said she prefers the crockpot method over the oven because when baked, the noodle edges tend to get burnt and hard. I don’t know about you but somehow that burnt edge always mangles the roof of my mouth. This method kept everything soft & delicious.
I will admit in advance, it’s not exactly the quick crockpot recipe i’m accustomed to, as it does take some prep time BUT on the flip side, it is incredibly delicous. A huge saving grace is that you don’t need to pre-boil the noodles if you use “Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles”. Serve it with nice crusty French bread, a salad or both. By all means substitute the items for healthier options like ground chicken, turkey or silken tofu for the Ricotta cheese. Make your own sauce if you’re feeling ambitious but if you’re like me and lean toward a crockpot meal, that usually means you’re looking for something decently easy that can cook so you can do other things.
As we say in Hawaii, this is super Ono (aka delicious). When you make it, take a pic and tag me #heynayheyyy…let me know how you liked it!
- 6 qt Crockpot
- 1 Crockpot liner
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb Mild Italian ground pork
- 1 box of Oven ready Lasagna Noodles
- 1 8 oz container of Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 jar Marinara sauce
- 1 jar Alfredo sauce
- 1 lb shredded Mozarella Cheese
- 2 T onion powder
- 2 T garlic powder
- 2 T Italian seasonings
- Line crockpot with plastic liner bag
- In a skillet, brown ground beef and ground pork
- Season with onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper
- When brown, add 3/4 of the marinara jar to the ground beef.
- Reserve the other 1/4 marinara for crockpot
- While ground beef is browning, mix ricotta cheese and 1 egg
- Season Ricotta mixture with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning & set aside
- When ground beef is done start the layering process
- Pour the other 1/4 of the marinara sauce to the bottom of the lined crockpot & spread
- Break up your noodles to fit on the bottom of the crockpot
- Add ground beef mixture to cover noodles
- Next layer is 1/4 of the Alfredo sauce
- Add a layer of the Ricotta mix on top of the Alfredo sauce
- Then cover with Mozarella
- Repeat the layers until you are all out of your ingredients.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.