I keep my grocery list on my fridge. Everyone knows that’s where they put stuff they need from the store.
I have one rule, if it’s not on the list, it doesn’t get bought.
Last week, RJ wrote Cheerios. So I bought Cheerios….the plain old school basic Cheerios. When I set it on the counter, he shrieked and said “That’s not what I wanted!” I showed him the list. The list clearly said….Cheerios.
Apparently he wanted Honey Nut Cheerios, because above all else, I should be able to read minds. Now mind you, I didn’t just buy the small box of Cheerios. I bought the FAMILY SIZE which means a hell of a lot of cheerios needs to be eaten. 1 entire pound to be exact.
Since he wasn’t going to voluntarily eat these doggone plain Cheerios, I had to come up with something because one way or another these damn cheerios needs to be eaten. I racked my brain for a few minutes and came up with something similar to Rice Krispy treats.
I put some of his favorite things in it – marshmallows, peanut butter & nutella. This took me all of 10 minutes from start to finish and dare I say they taste pretty damn delish! When my daughter got home she had 2 bars without any coaxing.
This means 3 things:
- It’s delish
- If she’s eating it, then everyone will eat it
- I win, the Cheerios will be gone in no time.
Here’s my Cheerios bar recipe. It’s super yummy. I also provide a few options to make it healthier.
I hope you enjoy it! Tag me on Instagram if you make it @heynayheyyy
- 1/2 LB or 1/2 box of Cheerios
- 1 stick of butter save the wrapper
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of nutella
- 1 13x9 pyrex dish
- Use the butter wrapper and coat the pyrex dish, set aside
- In a large pot, melt entire stick of butter
- When butter is melted add the mini marshmallows
- When marshmallows are completely melted add the peanut butter & nutella.
- Mix thoroughly
- Then add the Cheerios and mix well
- Transfer Cheerios mix to buttered pyrex dish & set aside to cool
Drizzle melted chocolate over top of the Cheerios
For a healthier option, use almond butter or sunflower butter instead of peanut butter
And add nuts and dried cranberries to the cheerios mix.