This casserole is a sanity saver. I prepped this on Christmas eve & popped it in the oven on Christmas day while we opened presents. The timing couldn’t have been more perfect! As soon as we were done opening gifts the casserole was ready to serve. In past years I would have to rush to make some kind of breakfast after opening gifts & that is just not a whole hell of a lot of fun tbh.
This year, I was able to enjoy opening gifts & being in the moment knowing a delicious breakfast was baking in the oven. It allowed me to be present which is something I strive to work on this year. This is a savory breakfast dish but I also make another sweet dish to go along which I’ll share in another post. My kids love this which is always a winner & believe it or not, Mr. Picky RJ who only ate chicken & chocolate most of his life has come to love it.
Here’s a few options when making this:
- use whatever you have on hand, this is a great way to clean out your fridge
- substitute whatever breakfast meats you prefer (sausage, ground chicken, veggies)
- use country potatoes or tater tots
- use less egg mixture if you prefer it to be drier
As always I hope you enjoy this dish. When you make it, snap a pic, tag me at #heynayhey & let me know how you like it!
- Pyrex or oven proof dish
- 1 French bread loaf, cubed
- 1 cup of diced Bacon or whatever breakfast meats you prefer, cooked
- 1.5 cups of shredded cheese, your preference
- 1.5 cups of frozen potatoes, country style or tater tots
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 t of dry mustard
- salt & pepper
- Night before serving, put everything together
- Place cubed bread, frozen potatoes, cheese, breakfast meats into pyrex dish
- Beat together eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt & pepper
- Pour egg mixture over bread mix
- Cover & place in the fridge overnight
- Next morning preheat the oven 350 degrees
- Remove the cover and bake for 50 minutes.